What is my role as a member of the hospice team?
You remain the primary care provider for your patient and direct the hospice team to provide pain and symptom management as well as emotional, social, and spiritual support for the patient and family.
Your responsibilities as part of the hospice team include:
- Signing initial certification of terminal illness and subsequent recertification
- Reviewing the hospice Care Plan
- Seeing your patient either in your office or at his/her residence
- Prescribing medication and treatment for comfort care and symptom relief
- Reviewing with the hospice care team the patient's condition and prognosis
- Making telephone contact with the patient and family or caregivers as necessary
- Signing the death certificate